Summer You Never Even Really Gave Yourself enough time.
There was a bit of confusion with my cycle sites technique illustrated in the SEO Empire Part 1 post. I used autoblogs as an easy to understand example. Autoblogs generate links quickly to themselves and can be cycled (redirected) to a source to push those links. Therefore by the definition:
Cycle Site-A site that automatically gains links to itself and then through a redirection passes that link value to another site.
an autoblog is a perfect example of a Cycle Site. However, an Autoblog by itself is not a Cycle Site and a Cycle Site is not just an Autoblog. Any site that quickly gains links to itself and is capable of redirection can be used as a Cycle Site.
In contrast as we all remember, a Link Laundering Site is a site that has an ability to gain links not just to itself but directly to another site. In the post I used a reciprocal link directory as an example. However really almost any platform can be used to launder links. I haven’t actually of heard anyone getting confused amongst the differences between the two techniques, but I also haven’t heard very much discussion pertaining to the extremely close relationship they share. These two techniques more so than the some of the other techniques on this site are very closely related. Inherently a link laundering site takes precedent over a cycle site. Why? Because if a site can constantly feed link value to another site without having to cycle and closing out, even if its for a short while, than its worth more as a link builder.
Therefore whenever possible a Link Laundering Site should be used over a Cycle Site if possible. The Cycle Site simply gives you more structures as to which gain links by than Link Laundering Sites can provide. Since you’re not worried about people liking the site and continuing its success you are able to build links to it much quicker. There is however a happy medium between the two techniques that can give Cycle Sites link laundering stability and Link Launder Sites Cycle Site power. This technique is called Cyclic Documents and its exactly what it sounds like and it is very powerful.
A Cyclic Document is a document or link given to a user of a Cycle or Link Laundering site as to qualify a given set of links or time before it cycles (redirects typically) to its target.
The idea is very simple. The link you give to gain the links to is instead of your main page, for which you’d have to cycle out and thus loose the link building power of, goes to a secondary document and/or a redirect to the main page where as its viewed as either just an obscurity, a method of tracking, or even not noticed at all. To help remove the confusion and to help differentiate the actual example with the technique itself I’m going to do the methodology portion twice. The first will be with the classic Autoblog example given in the SEO Empire post the next with a random structure.
Methodology 1 - The Autoblog
1) If you’re using Wordpress or similar platform for your Autoblog do a simple modification to the code that includes a simple conditional with a redirect checking for a certain string in the posts title that would normally never exist in a post title.
header( 'Location: http://www.mytargetsite.com' ) ;
2) Create a cronjob script that parses through the previous posts on the Autoblog and finds posts beyond a certain age. Use the actual mysql database don’t just write a scraper! I’m just going to throw my recommendation out there and you can adjust and make your own necessary changes to it based upon your experience and best judgement. 8 Days.
3) If it finds a post past the set days have it change the title to what your picked unique title was in step 2.
What Does This Do?
Your Autoblog will create posts based on rss feeds (typically). It will then do pingbacks and gather at least one link to that post. I say at least one because there is odds of these new breed of comment scrapers The author of the original blogpost may check for the link, hopefully within your set number of days. See his link and hopefully leave the trackback alive on his site. After the author no longer cares about the link and has forgotten about it, but before the search engines have had a chance to index the page it will cycle that single post to your new target site thus giving it +1 link. This is why I never mentioned robots.txt in the original technique post. I wasn’t hiding something fantastic from ya after all.
Methodology 2 - The Image Upload Site
1) On your image upload site when the user uploads there image and you give them back the link code instead of linking to www.myimagehoster.com have it link to a sequential numeric subdirectory or subpage. eg. www.myimagehoster.com/10.
2) Through mod-rewrite have all /# or /[0-9]+ pull a script. In this script have it read in a variable saying what number its currently on and incriment it then make all numeric at and below it redirect to your target site. This sounds more complicated than it really is. Really, all you’re doing is recording the number 1 to a file or db or something and every so often have it change it to the next number up which in this case is 2. From that point on every /1 and /2 link automatically redirects to your target site thus giving it it’s hopeful link (assuming the person kept the image code in tact). Based on the popularity of the site you can increment the number faster or slower and redirect more at a faster rate.
What Does This Do?
If your image upload site used to a be a Cycle Site where it would work for awhile and eventually gather tons of links very quickly then cycle out and generate no links for a period before you’d bring it back. Now you keep it going forever and instead of destroying its momentum you can use it to gather even more links faster than you ever could before. After so long people will forget the link code and not click on it. That’s prime to have your link change out. You can also control your rankings. ie. if your image upload site ranks for terms that give it a tons of traffic and you know x amount of link are required to maintain those rankings you can maintain that amount of links thus keeping your momentum at its maximum and yet still produce equally high volumes of links to your target. Also, I could very easily have used the link directory and software directory site example used in the link laundering technique with this same methodology.
Now for Jebus sake don’t go creating a shit ton of image upload sites or Autoblogs like what happened when SEO Empire came out. <- Even my other blogs on other subjects were getting hit by hundreds at a time. Use some creativity as I typically encourage you to do. You won’t ever get rich doing the direct examples gurus give you and you won’t with me either. Most of all have fun and learn a lot from it.